Excellent alternative to traditional spreadsheets and project management tools and processes

Rick F.
Senior Director, Dynamic Pricing Execution
Servicios financieros, 51-200 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: We use it for all project implementations to manage collaboration with our clients - project plans, decision logs, issue logs, contact lists, action item lists, document sharing, etc. We also use it internally for similar activities. I even use it on my team for very efficient weekly status reporting. We even link it to JIRA for automatically syncing sheets and reports to that system for managing product releases and product support. We love it!!!

Puntos a favor: Very easy to learn and get users onboard quickly. Works much like Excel yet with much more document sharing functionality and the notifications service is most beneficial to us. Very cost efficient in that our clients don't need to purchase a license so we use this to collaborate with them for our project work.

Contras: Very little not to like. Advanced functionality we need to not alwasys there, however, Smartsheet comes out with new features a few times a year and they always very helpful. Biggest complaint is that we have not yet figured out how to provide users edit access to a group and yet limit certain sheets within that group to viewer only. Would also like to see more options for backups and restores.

Smartsheet Review

Sarantos P.
Vice President of Operations
Marketing y publicidad, 2-10 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: We use the software to track daily, weekly, and monthly tasks. We work with hundreds of clients who send in requests each week, and the software allows us to track the requests, and progress of the tasks.

Puntos a favor: Simplicity of use. Minimal downtime. Customer support has been great, and very responsive. Communication when downtime will occur, or when issues are taking place.

Contras: I do not have any issues or complaints regarding the software.

Quick points

Darrin B.
Administración gubernamental, 13-50 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Puntos a favor: ·Being able to share a spreadsheet with other users in real-time.
· Like that users can complete a form to populate a spreadsheet to include uploading documents and that update requests could be sent to that user if a correction needs to be made or additional info is needed. The user then make the change(s) to the cell requested.

Contras: ·Recently a change was made whereas a non-licensed user can no longer send update requests. We use Smartsheet to have student teachers complete some info pursuant to state law. When the student makes an error, we used to send an update request to have them correct a cell. Now only a licensed user can send those notifications, so we most likely will utilize regular emails for these changes or not use Smartsheet for this work.
·As of Monday (9.30.19), how the system used "comments" changed from a pop-up box that let you enter into a field, save that info and now click anywhere and that pop-up box disappeared. Now it opens "Conversations" which now blocks the right side of the spreadsheet and you must now click on the X to close it out. It also holds all of the comments made to the entire sheet which is more info that I need. Typically if a comment is added to a row, I just click on the comment bubble to that row instead of viewing all of the comments to the sheet.
·When an update request is sent and the person makes the correction, this information is not clearly discernible when viewing the sheet. Turning on notifications turns on too many notifications so this was not an option. The workaround is, I add a "note sent"column that I check when an update request is sent. I then review the sheet and look for rows that have "note sent" checked and now no longer have the pending update icon to look for corrections.
·Need better form controls (field limits, date fields, etc.).

Collaboration made easy

Amanda H.
Marketing y publicidad, 201-500 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: Smartsheet saves us time and makes it easier to collaborate and share updates across all of our projects. We appreciate the constant improvements and the walk through introduction when bigger changes are rolled out.

Puntos a favor: Smartsheet has been a lifesaver for group collaboration. My team runs multiple projects simultaneously, and the scopes of these projects are constantly changing. Smartsheet allows for the team to update their pieces of the puzzle and send alerts about changes in one environment. We've actually replaced endless back and forth emails with the comments function in the comment section so that all pertinent information about an issue exists in the platform itself for easy reference. We can track our gantt chart, program data, and group communications in one place. I= We're also utilizing Smartsheet for people outside of our organization. Smartsheet allows us to select the type of visibility that clients have to data (through settings or via dashboards) so we can control the story that we're sharing with our clients. This has been a big time saver as it eliminates the need for extra reporting on data that is already avilailable online. Our clients have shared positive feedback about Smartsheet forms which we've been using to collect survey data and for event registration. The forms have allowed us to cancel our account for SurveyMonkey (which we used for several years previous to Smartsheet).

Contras: The main pain point I have with Smartsheet is the fact that not all of my favorite Excel formulas work in Smartsheet. The formulas also don't always work the same way as they do in Excel so there's a bit of a learning curve. Smartsheet needs to allow a Time function. We use Smartsheet to register individuals for events, and right now we're having to program Time as a text. This means we can't use formulas to change times based on Timezones. I also still miss when the recent sheets appeared as tabs at the top of the webpage. The new recent tabs menu works well, but I found the tab view easier to navigate.

We use Smartsheet for Project Management

Rob D.
Clinical Business Analyst
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: As I mentioned, we use Smartsheet extensively for project planning and project management. But we also use it to run a help desk for our Electronic Health Record System. Here the forms feature comes in really handy. Users fill out a form to add tasks to the help desk. We also use it to manage our individual tasks and queues. And our development department is building sheets to track donations and plan promotions. We often export the data and use it to build Tableau reports.

Puntos a favor: Projects are easy to set up with the built in functionality. There are lots of built in templates that you can use. But we have found it most helpful to build our own templates. We really appreciate being able to add dependencies, working and non working days, and duration. Then the start and end dates fill in automatically. We have found that the learning curve is not nearly as steep for Smartsheet as it was for Microsoft Project. Another really helpful feature is being able to use formulas in the Project Plan. Our team schedules our work using a points system. I was able to create formulas that take the number of points for that task and who is assigned to that task to create a point breakdown for each person or team assigned. We then use the linking feature to link the total points for the project, the points accomplished, and the status of the project to a master "Queue" sheet. Smartsheet has special formula values available for children and ancestors of a task. So, we use a simple =Sum(Children()) formula to add up the points. Actually, the formulas end up being more complicated because we can test whether the row has children or not and do different things depending on the test. For instance, when summing the work completed if the task has no children, then the product of the percent complete and points gives us the number of points completed. If the row is a parent, then the formula sums the children.

Contras: For project planning the resources feature is not as helpful as it could be. The main reason is that if a staff is assigned to a row during a particular time, the resource function assumes that they are 100% allocated for that time. So, if you have three tasks that overlap, the resource allocations shows 300%. We have mitigated that by routinely filling in 30% allocation for each resource. This helps to take into account the fact that a task although it lasts a full week won't take up all the staff's time. One idea I have had recently--but haven't tried yet--is to make a formula that takes the number of points for the task and assigns an appropriate allocation number based on points per week. The other feature that we haven't found useful is the "Critical Path." How the software determines what is on the critical path is a mystery. I'm not sure why it chooses some tasks that have dependencies filled in, but not others that seem to be just as important.

Versatile Project Management Tool

Jordan K.
Director of Technology
Servicios financieros, 51-200 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: We use Smartsheet in lots of ways -- from spinning up dashboards to show our operations teams how they're doing on any given day to managing data transfers from sales to operations to crafting project plans for implementations to tracking survey responses when projects are completed. It's an incredibly versatile tool that, with a little creativity, can produce amazing results.

Puntos a favor: I love how accessible and customizable the product is. We're able to make it do so much to integrate various departments and help work flow across the organization.

Contras: Some of the features aren't carried from sheet to sheet when you save as a Template or save a project as "new", and having to reconfigure alert rules can be time consuming.

Excellent project management tool!

Director of Project Management
Bienes de consumo, 13-50 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: I joined my team in 2017 and was asked to establish our PM management system - knowing that I didn't have the budget for some of the more robust tools, I needed to find one that wasn't only user friendly but had all the capabilities I needed to create the complex timelines and reporting that I needed. Smartsheet was recommended to me and when I finally did a walk through I felt like it would be the perfect fit for my needs. Since then, I've been able to setup the platform and project management system for my team and we adjust it as needed along the way with ease. We also have been able to find uses outside of my project management needs to track form responses and other data management needs.

Puntos a favor: easy to set-up processes, ongoing product improvements and additions, great team capabilities, quick and easy adoption due to familiarity of tool to MS Project/Excel style, many different uses outside of projects timelines, very cost effective

Contras: interface feels dated (although they're continuously working on this) and not created for non-project team members, dashboard tool and capabilities could use some improvements, sometimes creating cross-functional sheets can be clunky and unnecessarily complex.

Smartsheet is a great Project Scheduling tool, and so much more

Ryan C.
Director of Business Operations
Telecomunicaciones, 51-200 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: I love Smartsheet! It has become an indispensable tool in organizing and visualizing the work we do everyday!

Puntos a favor: Smartsheet is much easier to use for Project Managemen than the classic Microsoft Project software I was originally trained on. It allows people to manage work with the intelligence of a project scheduling tool, but with an easy to understand and use spreadsheet interface. Since Smartsheet is a cloud product, each Smartsheet is available from any computer by just logging into the website, or even from their mobile app. Another great Project Management benefits is that the Project Manager can share a Smartsheet with their whole team to collaborate together. We also use the Smartsheet for Jira Connector which allows us to sync information back and forth between the two systems. Jira can be complicated to navigate, and the dashboarding can be really frustrating. This connector allows us to keep track of individual tickets associated with a project, and even lets us import massive data sets for analysis. Finally, we have ended up using Smartsheet as a dashboarding tool. It's actually surprisingly good as a Business Intelligence visualization tool for keeping track of our projects, and for displaying Jira dashboarding.

Contras: Like any software there are small quirks I'd like to see changed, or hotkeys added, but overall I'm impressed with the constant cadence of feature updates and enhancements.

Smartsheet for Data Management

Brian P.
Human Resources Generalist
Salud, bienestar y deporte, 51-200 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: I daily maintain six Smartsheets, and will probably integrate more. This has helped with tracking my progress in processes, and eliminated the need for reporting up, as my superiors can view my progress in real time. I found learning the software to be fairly easy, and recognized many opportunities presented by Smartsheet for further education.

Puntos a favor: I use Smartsheet daily to track personnel processes, such as recruitment efforts, termination procedures, and the completion of development reviews. I have used other software before, but Smartsheet affords me with the opportunity to freely share the data with other coworkers and management easily and immediately. I also really appreciate the automatic save feature, and the prompt to update with other's changes. I tend to stay in my Smartsheets all day long so this is particularly helpful for updates. I like the ability to attach documents.

Contras: I found the Filter feature to be a bit clunky; That design needs some work. I'd like to be able to change fonts within fields, such as making individual words bold. Manipulating rows within the sheets could be streamlined. It's challenging when you want to move a series of rows to another location on the same sheet. It becomes a two-step process: Creating the space for the rows in the new location, and then cutting or copying and inserting them in the new space.

Enterprise features and pricing mean you can probably find a startup alternative

Publicado el 8/8/2019
Steve M.
Director of Digital Engagement
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: I hated it a few years back when I first started using it. The thing that won me over and made me a power user was the interface refresh about a year ago. I then took the Smartsheet training to be certified and that opened my eyes to the power of the tool (and also to the fact that the sheets I hated were users in our company using it very, very WRONG). Anyway, while we do love it, there are a few antiquated things like concurrent editing that are truly broken (Google sheets can do this just fine!) and the recent price increase for our contract means that we are probably moving to another tool.

Puntos a favor: --You can easily switch between different views of the same data, e.g. grid vs. Kanban
--Dashboards and reporting are both powerful
--Growing number of integrations
--Commenting per-row is excellent
--Can be used as a simple spreadsheet
--Security/permissions are robust and intuitive
--Excellent training and certs available
--Forms feature is pretty complete for basic stuff
--Very extensive formula capabilities, almost like Excel
--The "business" pricing tier would actually be quite adequate for my group's needs, vs. the enterprise plan
--Nesting/hierarchy of rows can be useful

Contras: --No in-cell formatting
--Awkward multi-user editing, no auto-save, other users keep resetting views
--Reporting is difficult, meaning that you have to create separate complex reports instead of just saved views
--Not a true database or app builder
--Notifications system is wonky, delayed, and hard for new users to tame
--Very easy to abuse and misuse, even worse than Excel because you can add in the nesting/hierarchy (we have one user in particular that makes the most gawdawful sheets you've ever seen, partly because of the inherent Smartsheet interface)
--Attachments are pretty rough, not easily visible or visual, and no desktop app integrations (e.g. save a file from Word to SmartSheet)
--No concept of a "document" or app, only the spreadsheet motif; can't do notes or instructions very easily, for example, so people overload rows for this and that makes reporting even harder when you have to manually select rows
--Forms feature not embeddable or graphically complete with formatting to make it look nice
--Not clear how you combine formulas and forms without overwriting formulas at the bottom--I haven't figured this out yet even after years of using it
--Enterprise pricing is now forcing us to consider alternatives, including lower tiers of Smartsheet

SmartSheet - A different approach to project management tools

Publicado el 19/7/2019
Nathan S.
Digital Marketing Manager
Software informático, 2-10 empleados
Fuente: GetApp
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: Project management is a very important part of any Business operation and as such, its important to explore options. Smartsheet appeals to us because we have a strong background with Microsoft Excel and adopting it has been easy. Our goal is finding a project management solution that works for our teams and ensuring that they actually use it. While everyone has their personal preference, SmartSheet was a better fit as a lot of our teams already use Excel extensively.

Puntos a favor: SmartSheet is a good project management tool that has an interface similar to Excel.
Pros:
1. Multiple Project Views - Project managers will appreciate the multiple viewing options such as Gannt and Kanban, standard spreadsheet and even a calendar view. Many options for different managers. 2. If Spreadsheets are your thing, SmartSheet is worth a try - If you and your team use spreadsheets a lot, you may appreciate that SmartSheet is based off the concept of spreadsheets, you can adopt and add different sheets for a variety of projects. So whether basic or advanced, a host of users can easily adapt to Smartsheet if they know how to use a spreadsheet, even to the point of adding formulas and formatting of cells. This is a huge selling point which makes SmartSheet a good option. 3. As Good as Project Management tools get - As a project management tool Smartsheet covers the basics. You get milestones, task management, comments, collaboration and project management and as mentioned before the view options. 4. You can add collaborators to a project for free - A good thing is that you can add multiple “users” to access Smartsheets without paying extra. If you do need to give them more privileges, there are options to set them up. 5. Support for Smartsheet is stellar - There is a thriving community of users and help guides and videos if you ever find yourself stuck and not sure what to do. 6. Smartsheet also integrates well with Microsoft Office 365.

Contras: There is not a lot to gripe about SmartSheets other than on occasion, the app can lag or suffer an error and finding what error it is and how to fix it can be a little frustrating. There is a limitation with exporting reports. If you want to display data in a visual way, you may need to manually extract the data and then add it into another application. If the reports feature could be improved and maybe export in a usable format it would be a solid winner.

SmartSheet- Highly recommended Project Management Software

Publicado el 16/3/2019
Sadaf G.
Sustainability Analyst
Construcción, 13-50 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: We have a global team of collaborators often working on the same document. SmartSheet, being a web-based collaborative tool makes it effortless to delegate and track tasks, allocate resources, and oversee budget in a concise form. The transparency in this tool is exemplary as one can view activity logs and track changes. Unlike its main competitor MS Project, SmartSheet is capable of tracking real-time workflow wherein changes made by one individual can be reflected across the entire team in an instant.
It functions spectacularly on a range of operating systems (I use it on iOS as well) and has proven to be a cohesive platform to visualize project data in real time, all in one place for all relevant team members to view and work on. I would highly recommend SmartSheet for teams who are looking for project management software that requires minimum training with maximum output.

Puntos a favor: SmartSheet is a cloud-based tool that helps Project Managers better align their resources, cost and time. Being a part of a virtual team responsible for collaborating whilst managing critical projects, Smartsheet has been indispensable in helping us track project timeline through interactive Gantt charts, establish critical paths, manage team resources, analyze budget and costs, in addition, to document sharing through OneDrive, Skype and even the app.
It is definitely reliable, has a simple user interface, flexibility in function, offers real-time data tracking through dashboards and training additional collaborators is uncomplicated. I love how SmartSheet offers a powerful conditional formatting feature, visualization of data that is editable and printable for presentations and has a spreadsheet-like interface (like Excel) yet is straightforward, unlike its counterparts.
Another thumbs up feature is that SmartSheet offers a 30-day trial wherein full functionality can be tested and project plans produced before actually investing in the software!

Contras: Our firm works from Sunday to Thursday (unlike the USA) and though they are advised well ahead, maintenance windows don't always align with our schedule, and we have to work around that. One attribute that can definitely be improved is the option of turning on auto-save, instead of manually saving the document. Often the development of a comprehensive project plan across several collaborators is quite intense and even if one of them fails to manually save the document, it is quite a hassle.

Smartsheet - Functionality and Communities make this an indispensable application

Publicado el 1/2/2019
Project Manager - Business Intelligence and Campaigns
Filantropía, 1001-5000 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: Overall, my experience with Smartsheet has been wonderful. The extremely active Community has made all the difference in the world, answering questions within an hour or two. The staff are also active in the Community and you can see their passion for the application and truly helping their customers. Smartsheet is highly worth the investment.

Puntos a favor: Smartsheet has so much going for it. It truly fits the new technological world that we live in by providing more than just the basics. Being a cloud-based application (SaaS), and compatible with mobile devices, makes it more functional across the board. It mostly touts itself as a project management tool, which is very true. Most project managers utilize certain applications that require the project to be saved down to a file, which is not easily shareable. Smartsheet can handle the same project management tools and live in cyberspace that can be utilized by numerous people, which different levels of access (viewing, editing, administering) and different views (tasks, gantt, kanban, etc.), and allow people to make comments, add attachments, and more. The most use I have made of Smartsheet within my organization is using it like a spreadsheet. I'm able to have numerous sheets for different departments where they have access to only their own sheets and update only what they need to update. Then I can create a new sheet that combines information from all of the sheets that will auto-update from the original sheets. I can also create reports and dashboards (with charts, metrics, etc.) based on information from all the different sheets. It's quite functional and utilizes much of the same fundamental logic that Excel provides. The Smartsheet website has an extremely detailed (and searchable) Help section and very active Community. Even includes videos to help guide!

Contras: Smartsheet does have some limitations. Most specifically, it isn't Excel and it isn't Project, so users shouldn't expect it to do everything those applications can do. However, there are times when it seems obvious that a particular functionality should be included that isn't. With that said, Smartsheet does a great job of listening to the Community and is constantly improving the application with enhancements to help the Community with its most voted on requests. Another thing that is frustrating is when an error pops up. More often than not, the error is written in a way that doesn't tell the user how to fix the error. Again, when this happens, I just reach out to the Community and get the answers I need.

Project Management in the Cloud

Publicado el 17/12/2018
Nathan R.
Director, Management Information Systems
Política pública, 13-50 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: It does help us track projects and the alerts we've set up help keep users aware of deadlines. So for that, Smartsheet works well. We've found a workaround for the one area we've paid extra for--the reporting--that is deficient. The biggest selling point is its approachability: anyone that is familiar with a spreadsheet application should be able to intuitively understand how SmartSheet basically works. That at least removes the biggest obstacle for a project management solution being ignored: the difficulty of use.

Puntos a favor: SmartSheet allows individuals and teams to work projects together, plotting milestones and critical paths, tracking tasks, creating alerts, and using gantt charts to quickly view how various team members are allocated and intersect. It does a good job of integrating with Office 365, allowing you to share links to files in OneDrive and to Skype within SmartSheet. The revamped interface makes it closer to working in Excel, which is the really the whole premise to Smartsheet: providing a familiar spreadsheet interface for working projects. To that end, there is a wealth of functionality for formatting cells to indicate project stages, task completion, etc. You can even apply conditional logic to have cells change color when a task reaches a certain stage. There are good controls for determining levels of access, so you prevent changes to your sheet except by authorized persons. Overall, it's a good tool for managing projects.

Contras: The reporting functionality we paid extra for is a joke. Instead, we've resorted to pulling data into Microsoft's Power BI to create reports and visualize data. And like many other Cloud-based services, there's a core product and then tiers of functionality that cost significantly more. Smartsheet is a capable product, but I'm frankly unsure it's cost is justified by its maturity. I've had the feeling I've been paying for what's coming, not for what's already there. But since we've invested in it, I guess we'll stay the course.

Fantastic Product

Publicado el 16/11/2018
IT Manager
Muebles, 51-200 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: Great customer service. Ever-improving features. 100% cloud so you can collaborate from anywhere with virtually any device (desktop and/or app). Smartsheet has become an indispensable part of how we run our business.

Puntos a favor: Smartsheet is an amazing product and helps keep our whole company on schedule and collaborating in real time. It is really flexible and easy to start using. Once you have used it for a while, you will want to do more and more with it, and there never seems to be a limit to what you can do. They are also constantly adding new helpful features. One that was really useful to me was a kanban view called cardview. But there is also classic spreadsheet view, gannt view, and calendar view. In addition to sheets, you can also run reports off the sheets which filter the data down for particular users or departments. These reports can be editable or read-only. You can also look at your data in real time using dashboards. We have been using Smartsheet for several years now, and we still feel like we are only scratching the surface of its capabilities. Another great feature is that you can have unlimited free collaborators. These people can use the sheets/reports/dashboard and enter data. However, it is only the paid users who can create and maintain the sheets. Over time, you may find more people in your organisation want to be creators, and it is easy to add licenses as needed.

Contras: There's not much I can say negative about this software. On rare occasions there can be unexpected outages or loss of functionality, but that is very rare indeed. There are sometimes maintenance windows on the weekend which can last up to 4 hours at a time, but these are advised well ahead of time. I think the only business that wouldn't want to use smartsheet is one that operates 24/7. If you are a normal Monday to Friday business, smartsheet will be fine for you.

Smartsheet has the perfect balance between usability and feature set

Publicado el 22/9/2016
Andrew K.
Program Manager
Hospital y atención sanitaria
4.5 / 5
4.5 / 5
Muy baja Muy alta

Puntos a favor: Not as complicated and cumbersome as MS Project, which tries too hard to apply complicated logic to your project plans. Smartsheet simply gives you the ability to create plans of any level of complexity. Conditional formatting allows easy review of start/finish dates and who is assigned what. Collaboration is easy and effective as you can share with different levels of permission, and export only those elements you want others to see and work with. Having the product in the cloud makes access simple and reliable. Only once in 3 years have I not been able to access my project plan immediately, and even then it was up within 5 minutes. Easy to learn and train others on, so you can bring collaborators in quickly. Easy to edit as it uses all the intuitive elements of cut/paste and drag/drop. Vendor has been helpful when needed, but mostly in the background which is what I want. I just need functioning software and a place to go for help, not endless tips and promotions.

Contras: Creating a backup is a challenge. It's not intuitive and involves way too many menus and steps. There should be a simple way to create a backup offline for audit or versioning purposes. There needs to be an auto-save feature. I've had new collaborators lose their work because they forgot to manually save. For a product that operates with the ease of Google Docs in the cloud, the expectation is that there is an auto save feature. The 10-minute reminder message is not sufficient.

Small Business gets a workhorse for a pony budget with Smartsheet

Paula G.
Production Coordinator
Películas y largometrajes, 2-10 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: For small business, affordable and versatile software that allows a team running in ten directions at once to stay on the same sheet of music and not miss a beat is an invaluable resource.

Puntos a favor: We are a video production company. Our small business needed software that could manage numbers, tasks and information in an affordable, user-friendly, sharable format. We get the muscle of spreadsheets with broad functionality for our office manager, multifaceted task management versatility of visually-rich Gantt charts for our producers, real-time multi-user file sharing, and the ability to access our projects and information remotely on location via our smartphones. We can create forms to amass customer information at trade shows; share files or sections of documents with clients; add photos, links, and conversations to ongoing tasks; and set important files up to be automatically backed up. Smartsheet is the busy creative team's dream!

Contras: On the very rare occasion that there is a server issue and the software is down, we whine like petulant children. We have come to rely on Smartsheet as it puts everything at our fingertips 24/7/365. We are spoiled and we know it!

Smartsheet: TimeSaver & Sharing of Information

Publicado el 29/10/2019
Loann M.
Broadcast Coordinator
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: Overall, I am still an avid fan and plan to continue to use SS. However, I am saddened that there are now so many features that require an additional fee to make use of them.

Puntos a favor: I love that updating a cell(s) in one area updates it across the board - no need to re-enter the same data multiple places.
Ease of sharing by either sharing the sheet/report or by using the scheduled sending of the sheet/report to people on a recurring or one-time basis.

Contras: Though I'm still a huge proponent, I have seen a decline in the responsiveness to users on the Community platform, as well as helpful ideas that would be of great benefit to the end user. With growth comes pain, and us users are feeling it.
I wish some of the previous ability non-licensed users had were still in effect.

The smartest Sheets we use

Cherie H.
Project Mgmt Dir.
Organización política, 13-50 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: It helps keep us very organized, especially when we are all in different locations / offices.

Puntos a favor: The like the ability to share a link with other users and not grant them full access to the entire sheet.

Contras: There are many, many features that can be hidden, but should be exposed more for quicker access.

Effective, costly super spreadsheet

Publicado el 25/2/2019
Craig R.
Marketing Services Manager
Alimentación y bebidas, 13-50 empleados
Fuente: GetApp
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: We used Smartsheet as a simplified task manager to replace another project management system and shared spreadsheet files. It was able to successfully manage the workflow and project load for multiple ecommerce websites and a high volume of online marketing activities, in addition to frequent new product introductions, all with a very small team. The management team really liked the results, but the users did not prefer using the software. Due to the high pricing, only 60% of the team had user accounts and the others had to report updates to be added.

Puntos a favor: Since it's based on a spreadsheet / table design, it is quick to learn and easy for team adoption. It's a great alternative for teams that have tried many of the more complex / visual project management platforms without much luck. At the end of the day, I found that project deadlines and tasks were updated and followed much more consistently in Smartsheet than several previous attempts. In addition, Smartsheet has one of the more extensive set of integrations, so virtually any sized enterprise platform or even niche software tool you use probably plays well together with it.

Contras: Though there are a variety of views and automation features embedded in the spreadsheet-like format, it ultimately is a powerful spreadsheet and generally offers somewhat less functionality than many teams expect from a fully featured project management tool, especially when it comes to visual organization. In addition, the software is overpriced in the age of comparable freemium tools (there is no free version outside of the trial). It is very difficult to justify the expense based on the feature set for moderately sized teams when there are many solid alternatives with better or more flexible pricing for smaller teams.

A functional hybrid of project management software and excel

Publicado el 20/1/2018
Erich S.
HR Business Partner
Software informático, 501-1000 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Puntos a favor: Smartsheet is fantastic if you are a project manager or anyone that tracks things collaboratively.
I use it daily to keep track of projects. It is like google sheets but has much more functionality with a unique blend of project management flavors. It is easy and intuitive once you get the hang of it, and doubly so if you are accustomed to using google sheets. Even if your teammates don't have licenses, you can invite them to look at and collaborate with your project, add comments, attachments, and even alerts.
As an applicant tracker, I use it to keep track of new hires. We attach their new hire paperwork to the smartsheet (instead of emailing sensitive documents) and other HR members can go in and look and progress, check off when they do their part (benefits orientation, enter into payroll etc) so i can keep track of where the employee is in the process.

Contras: There is a bit of a learning curve. When you first use it, you think that there isn't much difference to google sheets, but once you go through the training, see examples and use it for awhile, it is hard to go back to google sheets because it just doesn't have the functionality you need.
Some of the formula functionality of say, excel is missing, but they are making improvements to the platform all the time.

Smartsheet is an amazing tool to keep projects moving along!

Publicado el 5/9/2017
Kelsey B.
Marketing Content Coordinator
Artículos deportivos, 1001-5000 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: Smartsheet allowed me to personally increase the project management aspect of my role. It also allowed me to quickly and efficiently manage and update campaigns, content calendars and other key pieces of our marketing organization to keep projects moving forward.

Puntos a favor: Smartsheet is my all time favorite marketing software! Not only can you include and integrate project management, sales and other departmental functions but for marketing alone Smartsheet allows you to easily manage campaigns, events, content calendars, website and allows for initiative tracking (i.e. - results). Within each of these functions, you can assign users who are in charge of projects, enhance the internal communications by parties seeing where one is in the process and collaborate amongst many different departments. It truly allows for multiple business functions to be able to come together in one place for a strong marketing, sales and project management platform.

Contras: Smartsheet can operate very slowly when there is a large amount of data in a certain sheet. It decreases the strong user experience and also can make the process more cumbersome at times. The sheets can also be deleted with one click of a button and never be recovered again so you have to be mindful of your actions on the sheet and know all users who are using the platforms have been properly onboarded.

More than excel online

Justin H.
Director of IT
Marketing y publicidad, 201-500 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: We use Smartsheet in two primary areas. Area 1 - as a replacement for excel documents that are essentially static documents that were shared. Moving the documents to smartsheet has made sharing intentional because they are shared to named users, instead of general access on the file system. It has also made access of the documents easier because remote access is enabled by default. Your phone or home computer immediately has the files available. Area 2 - business process development. We use smartsheet to deal with business processes that involve multiple steps. A basic example is maintenance requests for equipment. We have a smart sheet which keeps a log of requests and the disposition of the request. A form was created that lives on our intranet. A request is made through the form which populates the smartsheet tracking the requests. When a row is created an alert is made to the support department. Logic on the smartsheet took data entered in the form and created the appropriate "action" link to the appropriate vendor supporting the equipment and set the status as in process. The user receiving the alert access smartsheet and have all of the information they require available to take action. At the conclusion of the maintenance request the records disposition is updated to completed (or the appropriate status).

Puntos a favor: Cloud based
Easy to share documents
Easy to setup basic automations around business processes
Full support for mobile devices and desktop compute
No training required to access "basic" features - if your users are excel users they are smartsheet users
Search options are incredibly powerful, and incredibly easy to access

Contras: Formatting options are better in excel.
Formula options are better in excel.

A Smart Way To Manage Your Projects

Publicado el 19/11/2018
Miguel G.
Diseño gráfico, 2-10 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: While many businesses continue to move in the direction of a clean and more streamlined user interface, Smartsheet continues to expand the capabilities of its products through its grid interface of a spreadsheet-like appearance. Despite popular belief, this format is still very effective and highly used in places where metrics are essential and number crunching is calling all the shots. With enhanced filters and views, one will be surprised at how powerful Smartsheet really is. I would personally recommend trying this, even for a trial, and get the feel for what Smartsheet can actually do.

Puntos a favor: Smartsheet brings the familiarity of using a spreadsheet and transform the way you manage your projects through their grids. Smartsheet is a complete suite of tools that allows your business, big or small, to manage and deliver on your products efficiently. Its list of features is quite extensive: Dashboards provide full visibility of the project and its status. With key metrics represented for the entire project, you can visually see the progress your teams are making with each project. This allows for quick response and adjustments where needed without having to dive too deep into the details. You can display your projects in one of various ways, each with their own unique set of advantages: from a Gantt chart view, to a cards (Kanban) view, to a calendar view. Provide portals for team collaboration and generate forms to capture the information you seek. Add to that attachment capabilities, notifications, alerts and reminders, plus reporting and so much more... and you have a well rounded complete suite of applications that helps you manage your projects and your business more effectively.

Contras: Smartsheet has no inherent cons. And the only thing I may consider as such would be that of bringing a spreadsheet-like format of its grid into use when trends are deviating from this format slowly. Other than that, Smartsheet does offer what its name implies... "smart" use of its various components to effectively manage a business.

Great project organization and sharing tool

Publicado el 15/10/2019
Knowledge Manager
Software informático, 51-200 empleados
Muy baja Muy alta

Comentarios: Overall Smartsheet has been great for helping our teams get organized and share projects. It’s a great alternative to Excel spreadsheets, with lots of additional features and sharing capabilities.

Puntos a favor: I love the ability to create multiple projects and group them by folder. For our account managers, this made it easy to identify projects by client. Project sharing is also a great feature - simply copy and paste the link to the sheet you want to share and voila!

Contras: It can be difficult to get up and running if you’re expecting the functionality to be the same as Excel sheets. It doesn’t use the same formulas. The online tutorials are helpful though.